Saturday 6 November 2010



After my visit to the Horniman's visit yesterday I was left wanting more... so I googled African Art in London and found out that the British museum has an African Gallery. So I got up early and made my way down to Russell Square and luckily I bumped into my dear friend Lorraine Dublin from the Adee Phelan salon in Covent Garden and we hopped on the 188 bus together.

We are planning on doing a shoot together very soon and I am hoping that I can design and make this African collection in time. I was telling her about the elaborate hair designs seen in the masks and sculptures and she said that it would be a very good idea to base the shoot on an African theme.

She left me in Holborn and I got off a couple of stops later and walked up Great Russel Street to the museum. The grand entrance with the marvelous pillars got me so excited, I loved the lines and got my camera out and started snapping away- line project for uni sorted!

The African gallery was so amazing it had twice as much pieces on display then the Horniman's museum and so many interesting things caught my eye. One in particular was the Throne of Weapons which is made from decommissioned weapons collected since the end of Mozambique's civil war in 1992. I thought it was such a powerful symbol of progress and hope for the future of Africa as well as being a wonderful example of contemporary artwork.

I found so many patterns and textures that I know will be the great beginning of my African jewellery collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment